Monk Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Stats & Damage Types?

4 posters

Go down

Best Stats & Damage Types? Empty Best Stats & Damage Types?

Post by lessigfan May 30th 2010, 6:21 pm

Since I have a dex paladin - which is much weaker than a pow paladin - I was thinking of which stats were best when considering a 3rd attribute. Obviously your class determines your primary & secondary attributes, but which of the other two makes a good backup? These are my thoughts:

Power is the most important. 4 or 5 damage types use power as their primary attributes - axe, fire, shadow, spirit, and maybe summon. Another 3 damage types use power as their secondary attribute - sword, earth, and fist. Not only is pow the most used stat, but virtually all the damage types that use pow are solid. A lot of buffs use pow too.

Int is second most important. More damage types are primarily dex & co than int, but int has some really good ones. Primarily - lightning, fist, holy; secondarily - twinblades, fire, and mace. Personally, I think lightning, fire, & mace are among the more powerful damage types out there, and fists aren't bad either. Access to both solid magic & melee charms is what makes int important. Lightning also includes shifting, and holy includes a lot of projection.

Dex is the 3rd but it is neck-and-neck with con. Dex has primarily spirit, sword, frost, and twinblades - and secondarily spear, lightning, and shadow. Shadow, sword, lightning, & spirit are pretty great, but I think frost & especially twinblades are weaker overall. Most banes seem to require dex too, which adds to the importance of dex. EDIT: And extra actions! Maybe dex > int?

Con is least important. Again, con & dex are pretty close - con gets you summon, dex gets you spirit. I think spirit > summon generally, but summon can really be great. Con has good melee charms too - mace & axe - where dex really only has sword. But the magic types that use con - frost & holy - are weaker. Con has damage types that add to defense - holy & spear - neither of which is great, but they seem to cover most of the projection charms, which is handy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This mostly depends on some sort of ranking I have for the weapon types. This is how I'd sort the damage types:
- For magic - fire, lightning, & shadow are best. Earth & frost are middling, and holy is weakest.
- For melee - mace, axe, sword, & fists are all good. I think spears & twinblades are weaker.
- For the others, shifting, spirit, summon, & projection all have nice uses.
Of course you can use any type(s) successfully, these are just my observations up to level 42ish. None of the stats are useless, and all offer some of the better melee & magic charms, so I think the stats are fairly balanced.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So my dex paladin, without power, can't use a lot of really nice damage types. Instead of summon, axe, earth, fire, and fist - I have spear, twinblades, lightning, & frost. Without pow, dex doesn't get me spirit, and I can't use a lot of the buffs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone have a different thoughts on the relative rank of damage types or attributes?

Last edited by lessigfan on May 30th 2010, 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

lessigfan
Retired General
Retired General

Number of posts : 3477
High Path or Class : Inquisitor
Headshot : Best Stats & Damage Types? 41152

Back to top Go down

Best Stats & Damage Types? Empty Re: Best Stats & Damage Types?

Post by Xyel May 30th 2010, 6:58 pm

You heavily underestimate dex, it is THE stat of debuffs, banes, spirit and extra actions. And you need at least 2 of these (debuff and spirit) to be able to do all dungeons. Imo dex is about equal (definitely not worse) to pow in terms of usefulness - pow has better damage on its charms and dex has like all of the games utility charms. Another stat you heavily underestimate is con - it is the stat of spears (THE melee cpb charms) and armor. I got high int on my inq and now Im hoarding the -5 int elixirs... I would say DEX >= POW > CON >>>> INT.

Xyel
Estiah
Estiah

Number of posts : 269
High Path or Class : Mage
Headshot : Best Stats & Damage Types? Xyel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tabernacle May 30th 2010, 7:26 pm

The three most important things in estiah are:
Spirit
Banes
Multi-hits

Spirit is obviously dex/pow relatively equally
Banes are more spread but are still mostly dex/pow and relatively equal.
Multi-hits are pretty specific:
I'm going to ignore class charms for the moment and projection multi-hits since those aren't affected by +ongoing.
Melee multi-hits:
Slash and Thrust: con > pow > dex
Corrupted Fireblade: dex > pow
Eroded Wave-Splitter: con > int > pow (not sure if this should count since it self stuns)
Rain of Blows: int > pow
Mana-Powered Thruster: con > int > dex

Magic Multi-hit:
Ice Spikes: Dex > Con
Lightning Rod: Int > Dex
Frozen Grave: Dex > Con
Forked Lightning: Int > Dex
Chain Lightning: Int > Dex

Dual Damage/Shifting:
Rockslide: Con > Pow
Buried Alive: Con > Pow
Void Bolt: Dex > Pow = Int

So basically, if you want to be the most versatile, you need Pow + Dex as your top stats with con as your tertiary so you can use spirit/banes and melee multihits. If you want to use magic multihits, you need dex/int with con as your tertiary (unless you're a pyro) but this makes using spirits and banes more difficult because you're lacking pow.
Dex/Pow/Int isn't a bad setup though. That gives you good banes, spirit, some melee multihits and some magic multihits.

Tabernacle
Estiah
Estiah

Number of posts : 262
High Path or Class : Druid
Headshot : Best Stats & Damage Types? Tabernacle

Back to top Go down

Post by Telamon June 3rd 2010, 3:06 pm

Xyel wrote:You heavily underestimate dex, it is THE stat of debuffs, banes, spirit and extra actions. And you need at least 2 of these (debuff and spirit) to be able to do all dungeons. Imo dex is about equal (definitely not worse) to pow in terms of usefulness - pow has better damage on its charms and dex has like all of the games utility charms. Another stat you heavily underestimate is con - it is the stat of spears (THE melee cpb charms) and armor. I got high int on my inq and now Im hoarding the -5 int elixirs... I would say DEX >= POW > CON >>>> INT.

Int, in my opinion, is much more important for an Inq than Con is-- Firebrand is an excellent charm. Pretty much Int lets you play bane/spirit/pyrolite with ease. Con gives you a bit more flexibility (you won't be half-assing melee like my Inq does) but ultimately doesn't help.

I've got 623 Power, 589 Dex (working on that: Soul Cleaver, i want your babies. Not to mention Fate of Acamar and the l50 Debuff), 551 Int, and 250 Con at level 49. I've had some problems in some dungeons (Crimson Kata Mines are Not Fun, as was trying to figure out how to gimp together a Prelex and Dark Tide decks) because of the super-low con, but it also means I'll be able to run Storm of Alcyone once I finish up all the skills.

Inq spirit + Normalize Enemy? Inq bane + Normalize Enemy? Yus. Plz.

Telamon
Estiah
Estiah

Number of posts : 45
Headshot : Best Stats & Damage Types? 70409

Back to top Go down

Post by Xyel June 4th 2010, 6:11 am

Interesting - I mean this is my first char, so I dont really know the lvl50 charms and so far the inq + int experience was that I picked it so I could play 2v2 colli together with my pyro (worked fine in 30s) and then later I realized I have never actually used int for anything other than the 2v2 /and now lightning spike/ (and some infinite spirit dungeons, but these were doable with any type of dmg) while I was missing on stuff like stone shoulderguards, shield of the whale, soul healing..etc Thx for the insight

Xyel
Estiah
Estiah

Number of posts : 269
High Path or Class : Mage
Headshot : Best Stats & Damage Types? Xyel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down