Monk Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Growth

+8
Balls Of Steel
busterbros
Howie Feltersnatch
lessigfan
Semaphor
Yigh
Apollo Rath
SinMan
12 posters

Go down

Character Growth Empty Character Growth

Post by SinMan December 10th 2009, 11:20 pm

I've been reading that some people totally not work at all to keep the character growth as low as possible and just do skills. What are your thoughts about leveling? I have 100/900 right now at level 13 and am wondering what the strategy should be. Also, is there any drawback to leveling as many skills as possible? It seems like some people feel you can mess up where your stats are allocated somehow, but I feel like any skill you learn pretty much just provides bonus attribute points "for free". Am I misunderstanding something?

SinMan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Number of posts : 406
High Path or Class : Warrior
Headshot : Character Growth Sinman

Back to top Go down

Character Growth Empty Re: Character Growth

Post by Apollo Rath December 11th 2009, 1:14 am

i think that leveling up skills which give stat rewards add to your growth
Apollo Rath
Apollo Rath
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Number of posts : 595
High Path or Class : Assassin
Headshot : Character Growth Apollo_rath

Back to top Go down

Post by Yigh December 11th 2009, 1:17 am

I could be wrong, but I thought when you hit 900/900 you can't gain more stats.

Generally its good to have an idea of an end-build to work to so you know what stats you need for what charms.
Yigh
Yigh
Retired Major General
Retired Major General

Number of posts : 1904
Headshot : Character Growth Pedobear1op8m333m8

Back to top Go down

Post by Apollo Rath December 11th 2009, 2:54 am

i think you are correct yigh
Apollo Rath
Apollo Rath
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Headshot : Character Growth Apollo_rath

Back to top Go down

Post by Yigh December 11th 2009, 3:13 am

Well then just hit the wiki, build a build and work towards those charm stats. Once you get em, then you just need to increase HP and SPIRIT stats.
Yigh
Yigh
Retired Major General
Retired Major General

Back to top Go down

Post by Semaphor December 11th 2009, 4:57 am

I thought skills don't attribute to char growth?
Semaphor
Semaphor
Retired Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1613
High Path or Class : Druid
Headshot : Character Growth Semaphor

Back to top Go down

Post by Semaphor December 11th 2009, 5:21 am

Just checked. Skills don't attribute to character growth.
Growth only limits the amount of attributes from work and food.
Semaphor
Semaphor

Back to top Go down

Post by SinMan December 11th 2009, 9:16 am

Semaphor wrote:Just checked. Skills don't attribute to character growth.
Growth only limits the amount of attributes from work and food.

Yeah, that's why I don't get why it would be a mistake to level up all the skills you can do, for example I am able to get most charm skills to level 2 now that I'm over level 10. Maybe it's just because it takes longer to do things this way? Hmmm, maybe it will be tougher to get the class you want at the lowest level possible this way or something

SinMan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by lessigfan December 11th 2009, 12:29 pm

SinMan wrote:I've been reading that some people totally not work at all to keep the character growth as low as possible and just do skills.
That's a great way to kick butt in PvP. If you can use all the charms available at your level, you'll do a lot better than schlubs like me, who typically can't use a level 25 charm until I'm level 26 or 27. Plus you'll have more HP & spirit, so it'll be easier to win with the same charms.

SinMan wrote:Also, is there any drawback to leveling as many skills as possible? It seems like some people feel you can mess up where your stats are allocated somehow, but I feel like any skill you learn pretty much just provides bonus attribute points "for free". Am I misunderstanding something?

Skill points are free and they don't count against the 900 limit. Even after you hit the 900 limit on job points,you can still get stats from potions, food, and skills. If you invest too heavily in con, then choose a class that doesn't use it - yeah, that's messing it up - but it isn't a big deal unless you've really invested heavily, just call it your tertiary stat.

Yigh wrote:Generally its good to have an idea of an end-build to work to so you know what stats you need for what charms.

+1 - pick a class target so you know what type of skills and attributes are most important, then work for that.

lessigfan
Retired General
Retired General

Number of posts : 3477
High Path or Class : Inquisitor
Headshot : Character Growth 41152

Back to top Go down

Post by SinMan December 11th 2009, 10:28 pm

Yeah I'm going to go towards paladin, so recruit/guard/paladin requiring constitution/intellect, and my third being dexterity right now, though my power and dex are pretty close. I just chose dexterity because I think I like spears and lightning which need some dexterity.

So I'll continue leveling up things pretty evenly, but try and focus skills a bit more toward constitution and intellect so I can get the classes I want when I first can. There seems to be quite a bunch of leveling to even get to level 20 so I think I'll be able to level a lot of stuff without having to do the jobs too much. I'll just use the jobs to move around Very Happy

SinMan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Back to top Go down

Post by Howie Feltersnatch January 4th 2010, 12:59 pm

SinMan wrote: There seems to be quite a bunch of leveling to even get to level 20 so I think I'll be able to level a lot of stuff without having to do the jobs too much. I'll just use the jobs to move around Very Happy

Why would you want to not work? Is there some advantage i'm missing?

Howie Feltersnatch

Number of posts : 2900
High Path or Class : Berserker
Headshot : Estiah

Back to top Go down

Post by busterbros January 4th 2010, 1:29 pm

Howie Feltersnatch wrote:
SinMan wrote: There seems to be quite a bunch of leveling to even get to level 20 so I think I'll be able to level a lot of stuff without having to do the jobs too much. I'll just use the jobs to move around Very Happy

Why would you want to not work? Is there some advantage i'm missing?

Collect Estiah welfare rabbit
busterbros
busterbros
Retired General
Retired General

Herenvale Nickname : busterbros
Number of posts : 3904
Avatar URL : if you can read this, you're already dead
Headshot : Silver Duelie

Back to top Go down

Post by Semaphor January 4th 2010, 1:36 pm

Reasons not to work:
Levelling up all skills before you get new ones.
Semaphor
Semaphor

Back to top Go down

Post by Howie Feltersnatch January 4th 2010, 1:43 pm

Semaphor wrote:Reasons not to work:

Is that a good strategy? I assume that strategy make you as strong as you can be when you do level up, but leveling seems rather slow and the skills seem to level on their own as your character levels up.

Howie Feltersnatch

Number of posts : 2900
High Path or Class : Berserker
Headshot : Estiah

Back to top Go down

Post by lessigfan January 4th 2010, 4:15 pm

Howie Feltersnatch wrote:
Semaphor wrote:Reasons not to work:

Is that a good strategy? I assume that strategy make you as strong as you can be when you do level up, but leveling seems rather slow and the skills seem to level on their own as your character levels up.

You can definitely level too quickly to keep up with all your skills. There are tons of battle related skills that are level limited, like sap, summoning, cheat death, charm alchemist, courage, defender, tactician, iron will, cruelty etc. I'm way behind on tons of skills, which I now know because of the "available skills" GM script.

If you level really quickly, you won't have collected enough of the PvP/Dungeon charms, so you'll be relatively weak compared to others. But more commonly, if you spend longer at each level to master more skills will have relatively more stats & higher leveled skills - so you can use more charms. If you want to be the absolutely best at your level, don't work.

However, I get bored if I stick at the same level too long. Leveling definitely slows down as you get higher level, and I don't think you can fall behind before level 17, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I worked almost every day when I was a lower level. Now I work whenever I don't need to travel, but I travel probably 75% of the time.

lessigfan
Retired General
Retired General

Number of posts : 3477
High Path or Class : Inquisitor
Headshot : Character Growth 41152

Back to top Go down

Post by Semaphor January 5th 2010, 1:08 pm

Thing is, once you reach the higher levels, it's pretty damn hard to level charm skills that use an attribute you don't have as a high stat.
For example if your attributes focus on pow/dex + con, all charms requiring int will be far behind everyone you can fight in quality.
Semaphor
Semaphor

Back to top Go down

Post by Balls Of Steel January 5th 2010, 2:16 pm

I think i leveled up too quickly aswell...so im gna slow down now and try and upgrade some skills( especially quickness)

i started a new alt, and im gna go slow with him
Balls Of Steel
Balls Of Steel
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Headshot : You do not mess with the balls

Back to top Go down

Post by Yigh January 5th 2010, 7:39 pm

I use academies to catch up on ones I don't level. One academy is 1.2k, but gives you 50 points towards mastery once you get to 2nd job.
Yigh
Yigh
Retired Major General
Retired Major General

Back to top Go down

Post by Street Sweeper Arias May 27th 2010, 7:25 pm

I reached the limit. Bought a piece of food and it said no go.

It that the case for all food? Or just the ones you can buy? Do the ones you craft (using the ones you buy) work?
Street Sweeper Arias
Street Sweeper Arias
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Number of posts : 355

Headshot : I made your Icon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Xyel May 27th 2010, 7:30 pm

Elixirs work, the usual food does not in any of its versions.

Xyel
Estiah
Estiah

Number of posts : 269
High Path or Class : Mage
Headshot : Character Growth Xyel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tabernacle May 27th 2010, 9:20 pm

Yeah, after you hit growth cap, you can only gain stats through skills and elixirs.
My new alts have both only worked a little (just enough to get command rank 1) and have about 80 points towards cap down at level 22. The main reason for this is that I want to have as many HPs as possible at my level and doing jobs impairs that. However, I can't use the best charms for my level due to having spread stats from leveling all my skills instead of working.
For example, my alt Faeyn, is level 22, with a 2071 PVP rating, 371 HP and 37 spirit but his stats are 88P/105D/103C/73I which means that he can't use any of the level 22 PVP craftable weapons. So far it's not much of an issue since I just turtle with him anyway and all those HP make PVE a cinch, but I basically can't make a competitive PVP deck that deals damage with him since I haven't worked and I've been leveling +HP and +SPI skills (which give con/int mainly) while also trying to build his Dex/Pow so he can be an inquisitor.

Tabernacle
Estiah
Estiah

Number of posts : 262
Headshot : Character Growth Tabernacle

Back to top Go down

Post by Xyel May 28th 2010, 4:48 am

Btw since spirit charms have low requirements, most people go for spirit strats with this type of chars (no matter the class).

Xyel
Estiah
Estiah

Number of posts : 269
High Path or Class : Mage
Headshot : Character Growth Xyel

Back to top Go down

Post by Telamon June 3rd 2010, 2:59 pm

I like avoiding using my growth, and with my two lower alts (being Telamon, l17, and my DK, who's, uh level 48) I'm planning on keeping aLOT of growth left for level 50-- most people very, very slowly eek their way through level 50, getting ganked hard by people with 400/500 to next level, and only being able to slowly level (5 points in a stat is aLOT more work later Very Happy). Keeping 200~300 growth available (and I know people who've kept 400~500 available, although that's going a tad bit ridiculous in my opinion) can help you a whole, whole lot.

Right now, Telamon is 17 and has used only 16 growth. I might not be able to use some of the charms I want (Like Aiming Axe, l17 combat charms, etc) but the fact that I have more hitpoints than a handful of people means I still win, and win pretty decent.

Overall, I really do suggest trying to learn all the skills as soon as possible, even if it temporarily messes up your stats. My DK maxed all but earth at 45, and his dump stat is, even after statshifting, still below 300. So I can still use new charms at level, still use the charms I want, but I have ALL of my combat skills done- most of which I did in PVP, actually, since having a two hundred to three hundred hitpoint lead on other people at that point means, "Oh, look. I'm running vendor charms and mixed type damage. You still get screwed." Smile

Compare this to my Inquisitor. Level 49, and is stuck using the Molten Horror to level Spear and Mace R1 at twelve AP a pop. Of course, my dump-stat THERE is 250, so, by math I've figured, I'll be able to run both my Spirit and Bane l50 charms once I hit 50, and eventually I'll have enough stats to be able to run Storm of Alcyone, despite that being a primary of my third stat Smile

The way I tend to do it is: grind grind grind skills, then say, "Oh my god, if I stay at this level any longer I'm going to rage and quit" then use up 20~30 points of growth, level, and repeat. It makes you level slower, but you tend to do pretty good, and in the long run it really does help.

And, yeah. Starting at level 40: drink an elixir a day, every day, unless you just desperately need that +2 stat gain to get close to a charm requirement. Elixirs are awesome-- it's a free stat, each day, every day.

Telamon
Estiah
Estiah

Number of posts : 45
Headshot : Character Growth 70409

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down